The Healthcare Workgroup is focused on making connections with other Healthcare providers including hospital emergency rooms, clinics, and other agencies to promote suicide prevention.
If you feel you or your organization would like to assist the Healthcare Workgroup please attend the Suicide Prevention Collaborative meeting held on the first Friday of the month at 1925 E. Dakota Ave. Fresno, CA 93726. See Calendar for more information.
Agendas and Meeting Notes
Healthcare Work Group – Mini Project Plan –
Work Group Notes March 29, 2019
What Activities is the Healthcare Entity Doing:
- Screening for mental health (Depression and other screenings)
- Screening for suicide risk
- Ongoing support for individuals at risk
- Staff Wellness
- Within organizations, is there consistency?
- Does the organization have an electronic health record?
- Does the EHR flag for suicide risk?
- Does the organization use a standardized screening tool
- What training is provided
- Are there any policies related to suicide prevention and intervention
- Is there any organizational policies
- What EBPs are utilized
- CMC: CRMC, Clovis Community, CBHC, Fresno Heart and Surgical Hospital
- Valley Children’s
- Coalinga (Closed June of 2018)
- Reedley Adventist
- Kaweah Delta
- Henry can get a list of all FQHCs; Janet will cross-reference to validate the list
- Mental Health and SUD Providers
- DBH county-operated and contracted providers
- Clinic groups with points of contact (Anthem and CalViva providers)
- Non-contracted providers that we need identify
- Commercial insurance providers
- Private pay
- To identify providers??? Work through the Medical Society to distribute to Providers – Maybe Nicole Butler could assist.
- Provider relations – Henry will reach out to PR people in CalViva to get ideas on how to assess the commercial side providers
- Connect with Schools Work Group to see about assessing health and mental health providers working in school settings
- College health centers and counseling centers (Fresno State, State Center Community College District, Fresno Pacific, Alliant, National, Phoenix, others???)
- K-12 districts
- Health Plans beyond CalViva and Anthem (Henry can provide a long list)
- Community-based organizations (those not under contract with DBH)
- Physical Therapists
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Acute Rehab Facilities
- Long-term care facilities (Memory care, assisted living)
- EMS providers – Susan to reach out to Dan Lynch for contractor beyond American Ambulance
- Dialysis Centers
- Home Health Agencies
- Public Health Nurses – Susan to reach out to David Luchini
- Reproductive Health: OB providers, Doulas, Midwifes, Infertility, Perinatology, Neonatology
- Hospice care
- Autism and Intellectual Disabilities
- Pain Management
- Neurology; Center for Neurosciences (like a rehab center)
- Diabetes Care Center
- Allergy, Sinus and Asthma
- Support organizations for specific health concerns
- CARD, Fresno State’s Autism Center (name??)
Who within the who??? For each entity – who is the intended audience of the survey?
What is our purpose of the survey? What problem are we solving for with this assessment?
- Identify gaps in the healthcare sector
- Increase consistency in approaches across the county i.e. standardizing screening tool; alignment of effort; reduce duplication of efforts
- Target the collaborative’ s strategies and supports within the healthcare system
- Provide data to help prioritize Collaborative activities in the healthcare sector
- Gain insight on innovative or successful models
Work Group’s Plan
- Develop survey and targeted variations as needed
- PDSA approach: Start with survey of 1 – 2 entities (1 – 2 FQHC and 1 -2 hospitals), learn from the process, revamp as needed and expand assessment across healthcare
- Henry will reach out to United Health Center
- Valley Children’s Hospital
How to do it?
- What are the mechanics of distribution?
- How will we grease the wheels with organizations to make sure it is completed and rally support?
- Reaching out to leadership?
- Need to phrase it well
- Include a video ask with Lynne and Dawan!
- How do we avoid duplication of distribution? Database/spreadsheet to track?
- How will we analyze the data? Design?
- REACH out to data team for support and ideas.
- Review the Community Survey that DeQuincy developed… STAY focused on healthcare, not the whole community. We want to know what actions healthcare entities are taking (tools, trainings, policies, etc.)
- Possibly start with a high-level survey with an ask to do a deeper delving into the survey
- The “send” can be from Lynne and/or Dawan level – personal, high-level ask
- Cynthia will send out minutes
- Henry and Susan will report out next week at the Collaborative, including ask for consult with data group and schools group
- Review prior survey Community Wellness Survey before next meeting
- Dawan will research whether there are white papers or how-to-guides (maybe existing surveys or checklists) around these topics
- CYNTHIA – Populate all of our homework assignments here (i.e. this person will do that activity)
- Next meeting begin to flush out the survey
- Alicia will do a Doodle Poll with Wednesday and Friday morning options. Alicia will send it out.